By Dashnor Kaloçi
The first part
Memorie.al / Due to the special specificity that Albanian Radio-Television had, as one of the most important information and propaganda institutions of the communist regime until the end of the 80s, it was not only under constant supervision and subordination of the secretariat of the Central Committee of PPSh, but also of the bodies of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and State Security, which as “ORV” (Object of Special Importance), kept it under strict control, not only from the physical security side of that institution, but to the “cleanliness and moral and political figure” of its employees, whose biography was looked at in detail for several generations, passing them through a fine “sieve”, year after year .
Not only that, but the State Security bodies, through the agency they had recruited within that institution, had and kept Radio-Television under constant and strict control, penetrating all its links, as ; directorate, relevant newsrooms, editing points, broadcasting studios, sound recording studio, archives, film production groups, warehouses, backstage, drivers and their vehicles, up to the physical control of employees and guests, at the gates they entered and exited the doors. All these, among others, are revealed by a series of archival documents that are part of a secret file (now de-classified) that belongs to this very important institution, since its creation in 1961, and until the collapse of the communist regime in 1991.
From this voluminous file with thousands of sheets, which were extracted from the Archive of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (former State Security Fund), which are part of the Authority for Information of Files of the former State Security, we have selected three documents belonging to the years 1975, 1978 and 1982, where the directors of the Directorate of Internal Affairs of Tirana, namely Nustret Dauti and Zef Loka, inform the Central Committee of the ALP, on all the problems of this institution. For more about this, we know the documents in question, which are published for the first time by Memorie.al
THE SECRET DOCUMENT DRAFTED BY THE DIRECTOR OF THE DIRECTORATE OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS OF TIRANA, NUSTRET DAUTI, SENT TO THE CENTRAL COMMITTEE OF APS, WITH THE LIST OF ALBANIAN RADIO-TV EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE BIOGRAPHICAL PROBLEMS AND DEVELOP HOSTILE ACTIVITIES
THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF ALBANIA
MINISTRY OF INTERIOR AFFAIRS Specimen No. 2
DIRECTORATE OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS Temporary 2 years
Tirana, on 26.IV.1975
SUBJECT: On persons with bad political composition and attitude, who work in Radio-Television?
- Spiro Harallamb Konduri, born in 1941, born in Durrës, radio engineer by profession, living in neighborhood No. 3. Comes from a rich family. During the National Liberation War, his family took a bad political stance. After liberation, affected by popular power reforms. There are an uncle, G., and D. F., former merchants in Gjirokastër, fled to Greece. His aunt….married to…a former merchant. His uncle, Vaso Konduri, former party member, expelled as a Greek chauvinist, affected by the reforms. The father’s first cousin, Pandeli Konduri, was a member of the Fascist Party and secretary of the National Front. Spiro’s father is known for his bad political attitude.
- Xhezair Abdulla Abazi, born in 1944, born in Vleshë, Dibra district, with higher education, profession, editor at Radio, living in the neighborhood…! He comes from a middle-class family; his father at the time of Zog was a gendarme and married to… the daughter of S. C., a former officer of Halil Halija, who after the liberation was called a kulak. Xezairi has been criticized for the support it has given to the creativity of Fadil Pachrami.
- Artan Nimet Tartari, born in 1948 in Tirana, operator, lives in….!
- Adil (Didi) Nimet Tartari, born in 1945, born in Tirana, with higher education, by profession, radio editor, lives in the neighborhood….! It comes from a middle class. Their father worked in the Ministry of Finance until 1942. During the occupation, his father became a member of the Fascist Party and took a bad political stance. In their family, there were bandits and traitors and they had a warehouse of weapons at home, which was used to supply Ball. At the time of Zog, their grandfather, Refati, was the head of the Civil Status in Durrës, with the advent of fascism, he was appointed deputy of Durrës and member of the Regency, until liberation. After his release, he was arrested and sentenced to 15 years in prison, as an enemy of the people, after serving his sentence, he died. Their uncle, Fiqriu, after his release was sentenced to 6 years for agitation and propaganda, now free in Durrës. Their current attitude is indifferent.
- Skënder Shyqyri Kazazi, born in 1945, born in Tirana, with secondary education, technical profession, works in Radio-Television, lived in neighborhood No. 4, Rruga “Urani Pano”, No. 30. In the Zog regime, as a family they were in favor of that regime, because like their grandfather and father, they were rich merchants. They had a manufacturing shop until liberation. During the war for the liberation of Tirana, part of the store and goods were burned. After the liberation, they were severely affected by the reforms of the people’s power and were taxed in extraordinary taxes. The current attitude of their family is indifferent.
- Alfred Tuni Papuçiu, born in 1947, born in Tirana, with a higher education, works as an editor at Foreign Radio, living in…! Comes from a middle class family. In Zog’s regime and during the occupation, his father maintained a good attitude and was a partisan, but he deserted and participated in the youth of Balli. After the liberation, he was a member of the party and was expelled for bad behavior in the past.
- Adnan Selim Çiftja, born in 1943, born in Tirana, with secondary education, technical profession in Television, living in the neighborhood….! In Zog’s regime and during the occupation, as a family they were in favor of them, although the father was an accountant for the rich. His uncle, Ali Çiftja, at the time of Zog and the occupation, was a soldier with the rank of captain. After the liberation, for hostile activity, he was sentenced to 15 years in prison and after the sentence, he died. Their current political attitude is indifferent.
- Gaspë Mark Çurçia, born in 1945, born in Shkodër, with higher education, profession, conductor of the brass band at Radio, living in the neighborhood…! Coming from a middle-class family, his father was killed for enmity.
- Liljana Mystehak Dine (Shanaj), born in 1949, born in Vlora, with higher education, translator, living in…! Comes from a family, middle class. The political attitude of her family, good, her father was an officer of the bodies of the Ministry of Internal Affairs. The mentioned one is married to Petraq Llazar Dinen, whose father and family were connected to the invaders. In Greece, the man’s family has estates, from which he receives income, and he refused to transfer this property to the state. Lazari was a member of the organization of Vorio-Epiri.
- Qemal Bedri Xhomo, born in 1928, born in Thessaloniki, Greece, editor at Foreign Radio, residing in…! He comes from a family of high class officials. His father comes from a family of beys from Leskovik. He is married to an Italian woman, with whom he lived for a long time in Thessaloniki, where he also owned land and a manufacturing shop, and practiced as a doctor. In 1937, his father came to Albania and settled in Elbasan. Qemali graduated from primary school in Thessaloniki. She is married to Jolanda Pogu, who comes from a rich family that was dispossessed after the liberation, because her father was the owner of the soap factory in Shkodër. The current political stance is indifferent.
- Spartak Murat Morina, born in 1948, born in Tirana, with secondary education, technical profession, living in the neighborhood…! His father was an officer and translator of the Yugoslav adviser and companion of Koci Xoxes, was implicated in this activity, was expelled from the party and exiled.
- Robert Julian Shvarc, born in 1932, born in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia, with higher education, translator at the Foreign Radio, living in the neighborhood…! Robert comes from a craftsman, individual family. His father is of Jewish origin. Roberti was implicated by the convict Stathi Qehaja. It has developed and is developing hostile activity and is currently being pursued by us.
- Jani Gllasan Meksi, born in 1940, born in small Labovë in the district of Gjirokastra, with secondary education, technical profession, resident in Tirana. Comes from a middle class family. His father was a lawyer. After his release, he was sentenced to 18 years in prison for fraud and agitation and propaganda against the popular government and is currently serving his sentence in prison.
- Enrika Bedri Përmeti, (Pellazgu), born in 1928, born in Tirana, with secondary education, with the profession of translator at the Foreign Radio, living…! It comes from a high class of officials. Her father studied to be a doctor in Austria, after the liberation he worked as such in several districts and died. Her mother is Austrian, now living in Italy. As a family, they were in favor of the previous regimes Dh… has a sister…with whom he lives in Italy and he is an aviation officer there. Enrika is married to Edi Toptan, who comes from a rich family and his father was sentenced to prison for trying to escape. Her brother…..Mirush Përmeti, shot with the group of Maliqi’s saboteurs. The husband of her granddaughter (Dritė) Xhemal Kusi, convicted of hostile activity. Enrika, after the liberation, developed hostile activities.
- Agush Myrteza Gina, born in 1943, born in Libohova, Gjirokastra district, with higher education, profession as an engineer in Television, living in…! It comes from a middle-class working class. In the Zog regime and in the occupation period and during the occupation, as a family they were in favor of those regimes. His father graduated from the military school in Tirana and in 1938, he was sent to the military academy in Rome. He was an artillery officer with the rank of captain, a position he held during the occupation, until 1943. His grandfather was a court clerk before the liberation. Agushi’s father has a third cousin, Xhemal Hysen Gina, who escaped in 1956, in Yugoslavia.
- Viktori Vasil Xhomo (Xhaçka), born in 1920, born in Ziçisht, Korça district, with secondary education, editor by profession, living in…! He comes from a middle-class family, before the liberation he attended the Conservatory of Rome. She is married to Abaz Xhomon, who is a rich family of feudal lords; she completed her studies at the French college. Convicted Agostin Bonati, convicted as a member of a group placed at the service of the French Intelligence, implicates Abazi that he was also placed at their service. Abazi, together with his cousin, Koço Çekrezi, published the newspaper “Ora” and “Varësi”, until the occupation of Albania by fascist Italy. During the occupation, he worked in the Ministry of Culture. Viktoria has a brother (Antar Partie), Andon Xhaçka.
- Veneranda Zef Gjika, born in 1947, born in Tirana, with secondary education, technical profession in Television, living in Tirana. Comes from a poor class family. Her father was a priest with strong clerical feelings. Currently, his father (carries out hostile activities in the form of agitation and propaganda against popular power, we have material on this subject that cannot be exposed).
- Edmond Novruz Dilaveri, born in 1948, born in Tirana, with higher education, profession as an editor, living in the neighborhood…! It comes from a middle class. As a family, they were in favor of the previous regimes. During the occupation, his father was a police officer with the duty of commissar. Also, his uncle, Sabah Dilaveri, was an officer of the anti-popular regimes in the artillery and after the liberation, for hostile activity, he was imprisoned.
- Violeta Zenel Vila, born in 1949, born in Tirana. Her family with good political standing, her father and mother, party members. Her husband, Mitro Kristo Tanka, from Markati i Konispoli, has an Uncle Ndini Tanka, who in 1961 was convicted as a connection to the saboteurs. Also, Mitro has the husband of his aunt, Violeta, arrested, and her uncle, Sali Vila, as a kulak.
- Hasan Ali Voci, born in 1931, born in Istanbul, Turkey, driver by profession, with secondary education, living in…! It comes from a family of individual craftsmen; in 1932 they came as a family from Istanbul. From 1932 to 1944, his father worked as a prison guard. His mother is Turkish, Hasan is married to Engjëllushe Voci, the daughter of Hysen Rama from Delvina, a rich class of kulaks, who were expelled from their hometown and settled in Vorë, Tirana district. As a family they have supported the past regimes.
- Rudolf Qemal Kikino, born in 1921, born in Tirana, with secondary education, technical profession, living in…! He comes from a middle-class family, and his father, Qemali, after finishing high school, worked in the court of Gjirokastra. He was the owner of a hotel in Saranda, until 1941. He worked as a municipal secretary in Kirçovo, Kosovo. In 1942, he was transferred to the court secretary in Kîçovo and in 1944, in this position, in Durrës, until the liberation of the country. His grandfather, Riza Kikino, completed his studies in Turkey and was appointed vice-prefect and prefect in several cities of Albania. His father’s first cousins, Enver Musa Kikino, are in prison for hostile activities.
- Gjergj Trajan Pekmezi, born in 1941, born in Tirana, with a higher education, profession as an instrumentalist, living in neighborhood no. 5. “Gjon Buzuku” Street, No. 213. He comes from a middle-class family; his father was killed on February 4, 1944, by Xhaferr Deva’s forces. His uncle, Petraq Pekmazi, owned two trucks that he used on the Tirana-Kosovo road. With the arrival of the Germans, he worked as a translator in the German army, until the liberation of Tirana. At that time, he was captured by the partisans and shot as an enemy.
- Cin Lazër Simoni, born in 1938, born in Shkodër, with secondary education, violinist by profession, living in neighborhood No. 9, “Skenderbej” Street, No. 23. His father, at the time of Zog and the occupation, was pro-regime, was a merchant, manufacturer and ready-made clothes store, until 1947. After the liberation, he was heavily taxed and closed the shop. Their father was in prison for not being denounced. His current attitude is indifferent.
- Alfons Kol Gurashi, born in 1942, born in Korça, with higher education, special commentator, residing in…! His father was a member of the Fascist Party and took part in the Catholic, reactionary circle. A brother of Alfonsi was a teacher in Kosovo and with the breakdown of relations with Yugoslavia; he went to Canada, where he is today.
- Gëzime Shyqëri Skënderi, (Dika), has born in 1946, born in Dibër i Madhe, with secondary education, translator at Foreign Radio, living in the neighborhood…! Gezmia is married to Myzafer Dika, whose family is known for its bad political attitude. His brother, Agim Dika, sentenced to 25 years in political prison, for high treason against the country, after escaping to Yugoslavia.
- Dallandyshe Gaqi Veshi (Bregasi), born in 1949, born in Vlora, with a higher education, by profession as an editor in the music editorial office, living in the neighborhood…! The mentioned one is married to Zhuli Bregasi, whose father, Neki Starova, was a rich class of beylers, severely affected by the popular power reforms. Neki was connected to Balli and was shot by partisan forces. Her husband’s brother has been in prison for 15 years for tending to escape and theft. His uncles, Bajram and Ali Goça, rich family of Beylers and shot by partisan forces.
- Islam Sali Prosek, born in 1913, born in Tirana, with secondary education, editor by profession, living in Tirana. Comes from a middle class family. Both during Zog’s time and during the occupation, both the family and Islam itself have taken a bad political stance. He was a member of “Legality” and took part with a gun in hand, against the partisan forces. His current attitude is indifferent.
- Xhaferr Ibrahim Shabani, born in 1951, born in Tirana, with higher education, television engineer, living in…! His father comes from a wealthy family. After liberation, he joined a hostile anti-government group. His father Bimi and uncle Qemali have had hostile activity (the last materials about his father and uncle are closed and we think they should not be exposed).
- Findia Pilo Veizi, born in 1922 in Himarë, with higher education, editor in charge at Foreign Radio, living in Tirana, in the neighborhood…! Findia is a member of the APS, the mentioned one is implicated in the process of Ibrahim Zverku, where it is said: “Together with other elements such as; Taho Sejko, Merkur Çelo, Thanas Nano, Findia Veizi, Sofokli Afezolli, have said that even in our Party, Leninist norms should be established, which Khrushchev spoke about in the 20th Congress, and Koci Xoxe should be rehabilitated”. Memorie.al
To be continued in the next issue