By Hysen Selmani
Memorie.al/ European and American press have often addressed the subject of the memories of the Albanian King, Zogu i-r, which he wrote and dictated during his exile from Albania. Considering the notes and syntheses that his assistant, Colonel Hysen Selmani, compiled over the years in his service, – always, next to the King of the Albanians, both at home and in exile, these notes, more or less with parts of detached, without strictly following the usual criteria of memoirs, and without having the definite, final form of an edition, they are prepared by Hysen Selmani himself, who has dedicated most of his life, as in Albania, as well as during the exile, serving the First Zog, the King of the Albanians.
Continues from last issue
Tirana, August 11, 1940, Gafuri
Colonel Husein Selmani immediately submitted this report to His Majesty King Zog in London. On the other hand, he also asks for instructions. Yes, the same thing sent in Turkish to the Turkish Office in Beyoglu, for your information.
“Now we have lost all contact with the Prime Minister Koço Kotta, he says. He has remained in Athens, but we do not know what is being done, that he did not flee with the Greek Government, to Crete and now to Alexandria. In fact, no we know why he didn’t leave. Or really there was a big panic; he couldn’t get in touch with the Greek Government. We’re looking for him and we can’t find him! Also, His Majesty, King Zog, told us asks where he is and his address, orders us to find him. We need to get in touch with him, but so far we have no idea where he is or what he is like. Of course he will be hidden. Yes, why not went to the Turkish Embassy in Athens, because he would be safe there”.
This is an opinion of these memories, for these days: Now that Germany entered the war with Russia, the communist groups like in Albania, Greece and Yugoslavia will take a wide surge. It must be said that this is their doctrine, and they unite everywhere in every notion. It must be said that until now in Albania, the communists were hiding, and now they come out to us like Omer Nishani and Enver Hoxha with friends. And, there are possibilities to disrupt the nationalist organizations, it is written below.
His Majesty, King Zog I, in repeated talks both with Great Britain, as well as with all Albanians in the United States of America, with Faik Konica, Monsignor Fan Noli and others, have concluded to win to enter the Allied camp. Because now Greece, as well as Yugoslavia, became our friends. The entire Balkans is occupied by the Germans.
New developments are always expected, but the most interesting is ours. That we remained unknown in the Allied camp, as well as in the League of Nations. And now we remember that all those obstacles that prevented this recognition were added. First Fascist Italy is at war with Great Britain. Britain no longer has that hope, as before, to withdraw it from Germany. Also, like Greece and Yugoslavia, they were occupied just like us. That we were the first victims of this war, this is known as well as it is hoped that our rights will be realized. The German army is advancing everywhere on Russian soil, but the Russians are also fighting, both in Leningrad and on the Moscow lines. It is said that Moscow will be freed from the population, but Stalin himself does not play from Moscow. In fact, he himself is always at the head of the Soviet army.
It is said that: Winter in Russia has already started, but it is not strong. The Russians are organizing with new forces, among the Urals, where they are waiting for the big winter, to give a lesson to the Germans who are now in the vicinity of Tula, Kerch above the Crimea. Everywhere the Russians, in retreat, have destroyed everything: bridges, houses, roads, and everything, to give obstacles to the German advances, which have opened so wide. Now it was proven that Romania also became an ally with Germany and the Romanian army fights together with the German one in Crimea.
King Zog, by means of this memorandum, addresses the Greek authorities, exonerating his country, for the events that brought about the Italo-Greek War. And this situation, he says, became possible when Albania was invaded and its land was used for an aggression against the neighboring country.
The king revokes the situation in Albania and draws a parallel with the events in Greece. He makes an appeal to unite forces that Albania has a suitable territory to fight against the fascists. And, if the Great Powers will look at the support that Greece gives to Albania, this means that they will be much more attentive to both peoples, he advises.
Istanbul, September 25, 1940
Today we received a report from Albania, where they declare that: at the Peza meeting, there was no cooperation between the different groups. The reason was because the National-Liberator was more organized, and it had started with its actions. She had a program that did not agree with our program and she insisted on the presidency. In fact, no agreement was reached, as a national union. The reasons for not joining are:
As with Nacional-Liberator, we cannot get along, because this has a program worn by 3 different groups, nationalist, and socialist, communist. It seems that for this time, we broke up without a conclusion. “But, they have left it, so that they can think and find a way to unite for later”.
The meeting of Peza and the persistence of National Liberation with such a program; this forces us to take quick measures for a more perfect organization with our cadres, throughout Albania. It must be said, continues the adjutant that some comrades, not declared, want to cooperate with the National-liberator. Now we are in talks with friends, such as in Tirana, Shkodër, Elbasan, Gjirokastër, and other places.
Haxhi Lleshi, in a sudden encounter with an Italian patrol in Prat of Selishte, received a leg wound, but Jusuf Selmani, with his men, immediately rescued him and immediately dragged him to Vika. There, he was treated by local doctors and recovered completely within two weeks. Now it’s fine. These, like Haxhi Lleshi and Professor Mustafa Gjinishi, lived in Mat, at Jusuf Selmani’s. It is known that these were part of the National Liberation Party and that Gjinishi had baptized this Party with this name and was even its political commissar. They were friends of Myslim Peza, where he was declared as the leader of this party. And in these, the person who played a role was Mustafa Gjinishi. In fact, he had filled Haxhi Lleshi’s mind as well. These are not yet declared that they are separated from us; they are always kept with us.
Mit’hat Frashëri with friends, tries to announce the name of his party, with the program of action, but is scared by the Italians. As it seems, but not that we have exact facts. Mit’hati, himself young in Tirana, not in the mountains. They are in conflict, with Nacional-Liberator, and it is said that they will fight it with the Italian push, but this is talk and not a real fact, but later, they will understand. Now, having no other news, we once again remain in your instructions, as before. And we wait for the right time. As for a union of a fraternal organization, we are doing our best. But, finally, we will organize with our own. We are completely superior to the other two groups and offer you our sincerest greetings. Long live the King.
The announcement was quoted by Gafurr Dibra
Tirana, September 18, 1941, In the name of everyone
Best regards Gafuri. D.v.
Haxhi Lleshi sends a letter to Colonel Husein Selman, from Shelliu i Mati, after the accident that happened to him with an Italian patrol, where he says textually:
“Dear Hussein Beg.
I am with Jusuf Beg. 2 weeks ago, I had an attempt, passing Buflle on my way to Selishte. I fought with a patrol of Italians and Albanians and in the first shots; I got a wound in my leg, so serious that I couldn’t walk. I had three friends with me and they took me and put me in a forest. Immediately, I sent word to Jusuf Beg in Vike and they sent me Rahman Hisen, Ramadan Bibe, Halil Xhaferri and they took me and sent me to Shellie, to Bajram Ceka’s house. They made me tie my leg, Dalip Xhoka, who stayed with me until I got fat, and today as I am writing this letter, he is here again. Jusuf Begu, he comes every two days and is very well.
Husen Beg, we are all well. Aqif and Himce have been interned in Elbasan, but they are doing well here. Until you come, we are all waiting for you. We don’t get along, one with the other, because we are all Hiska. We would like to be, as we were in Yugoslavia, that is, all united, for the Fatherland and the King. However, we are still united, except for a minority who are nobodies.
So, I, Faiku, Myslimi and Gjinishi, are united, as well as Spiro Moisiu. It’s just that we wait an hour or so before, for you to come. I’m always in Mat, with Jusuf Beg, but I don’t get along with the others. I expect a letter from you. Nothing separates me from Yusuf Beg, and from your people, until death. Yes, as well as Faiku and Akif, Himcja and Myslimi, Gjinishi and Spiro Moisiu.
For this time, I left it at that, you have many thanks from Hisen Skura, Ali Krosi, Bajram Ceka, Dalip Xhoka, and Ramadan Biba. They are here with me. It was left to me by Jusuf Begu, who I have byrazer. Because he saved my life and not the Italians. Yes, my enemies had disappeared. This time, I have no choice but to know me as Sofen.
With this, I give you my forgiveness, and praying to God, that you will be in good health, and that we will see you as soon as possible here among us”.
Shellie, October 2, 1941 your faithful friend
H. LLeshi. d.v.
Captain Dylejman Çela, when he returned from the Peza meeting, was a little tired. And, to rest a little, he stopped at a friend’s house in Patin. When he got better, he went home one night. But, they dictated him there and the Italians, with a detachment, surrounded him at home. And, it must be said that, after 4 hours of fighting, this one came out. There in the first games, he was left dead and this was a Royal member.
Tirana, October 4, 1941
Faik Konica’s telegrams addressed to his King
“The royalists do not have any enmity, the adjutant recalls, – neither with the National-liberator, nor with the ‘Balli’, but neither side helps against the other, even, we have our friends in the National-liberator. But, they do not they ask us for help. But even if they ask us, we don’t give it to you, because we never engage in fratricide with the Albanians. In fact, if it hadn’t been for the British, American, Russian and Yugoslav foreign organizers, we could have joined them in the middle, to reconcile them. Today, they don’t let them, even willingly”.
Istanbul, December 1, 1943
Colonel Husein Selmani received a report from Albania today. Where the very critical situation that was created at that time is announced. This letter thus openly declares its content. In the same way, it shows the situation of three different groups operating in the country. From the paper, it appears that the groups are at odds with each other.
- The Royal Powers, feeling themselves completely superior, did not give the organization the importance it deserved. They lied on their promises. Also, they were lied to by some comrades, who undeclared, worked with the National-liberation side. Today, they do not feel as strong and organized as before.
- The National Liberation Party is well organized and today in its cadres, which are organized by the Russian and Yugoslav Cominform, there are Yugoslav communist organizers such as Miladin Popovici, Dushan Mugosha and J. Tempo. All three are Yugoslavs, but two are also Russian. Now, the three different groups of National Liberation, as nationalist, socialist and communist, train and follow the program of the Cominform.
- Today, Nacional-Çlirimtarja has almost 300 Yugoslavs and Montenegrins in its ranks. Yes, the people of Konform here have organized about 12 brigades. They are also administered by these organizers. These groups are equipped with weapons and to some extent with clothing and medicines, which are sent to you from time to time by airplanes. This happens after an agreement we had last month in Bihore. The national-liberation delegation sent people under the leadership of Mendar Shtylla to Tito’s quarters. And, it is said that chords were signed there. And, after that, the aids come to you.
- The National Front is not organized at all. But it is at war with the National-Liberator. These, as dictated by the Italians, help them in this fratricide. It has been proven that Qazim Mulleti, the Prefect of Tirana and Mustafa Kruja as Prime Minister; help Myslim Peza with Shyqyri Peza. Well, today he is the president of the National-Liberator with weapons, food and before. And the Italians, with the help of Ali Këlcyra, Qazim Kokoshi and N/Colonel Faik Quku, help the “National Front” and Mit’hat. Even putting some Albanian battalions in their support.
- Now in recent times, British, American, Russian advisers have come. As proven, it seems that they have orders to support National-Liberation. That this is closely connected with Tito and this situation, confirms and here it seems that in the Balkans, as in Yugoslavia, Greece and Albania, the situation is administered by Marshal Tito. And everywhere they advise not to attack the National-liberator.
- It is said that Marshal Tito was in Ostrena for four days. Where there was an extensive conversation with the communist leaders of the National Liberation. But, Professor Mustafa Gjinishi, it was not. And now, this party has taken a strong leap and their leaders, who are friends with the Royal Center, such as Mustafa Gjinishi, who is the political commissar of the Party; Muslim Peza; the mayor Haxhi Lleshi; members Faik Shehu; Spiro Moisiu, who is the head of the General Staff, they seem to come and stay more with us. But now, they have nothing in hand. The entire administration is in the hands of the Russo-Yugoslav organizers, and their teams have the help from them. These are much disciplined and always increasing. Several communist officers were put in command, such as Tahir Kadareja, Mehmet Bajraktari, Mehmet Shehi, Dali Ndreu, Bedri Spahija, Frederik Nosi, Hulusi Spahija, and others.
- The Albanian communist leaders are: Omer Nishani, Enver Hoxha, Koci Xoxe, Karaman Ylli, Medar Shtylla, Lirije Gega, Hysni Kapo, Sami Baholli, and many others. These are the ones who have the complete confidence of Marshal Tito and the organizers of the Cominform. Others, such as nationalists and socialists of the liberation party, are only for fighting and nothing else. I.e. that, today, the Communists have the National-Liberation Party in their hands.
- Our situation today, unfortunately, has reached such a point that instructions are not received with the same enthusiasm as before. Some of the comrades, due to their personal interests, were sidelined and we do not know their reasons. A fault, which cannot be forgiven, is that we did not understand the tricks that were done to us by our comrades, the National-Liberator, telling us that; we are with you. That we have sworn for days and days, in a word, they let us sleep, until they took the power in their hands.
- The royals lied that, when they saw their strength so great and superior to the others, they remained asleep. Accusing and saying that: When we want, we destroy other groups, including the nationalist group of the National Liberation Party. They were almost friends and united, and this puts them to sleep. So that today, it is too late to recover an organization, as it was in Yugoslavia, led by Colonel Husein Selmani. Today, and he is here, it is quite difficult, an organization, because the microbe entered inside.
- The situation that has arrived in our gender, you need to think about it carefully and get behind it quickly. And it’s late. In is that you don’t come, we are bankrupt, not because we don’t have the majority. But, that we cannot get along, not even with each other, this is where the germ has entered. We have a mistrust with each other, a division, where the will to sacrifice is missing. Today, the communists have and are using it, in the bosom of National Liberation. They also plant the seed in the Royal Dirigibles, and not among others.
- As for the “Balli Kombëtar”, it fights with great damage. But, we don’t understand, because it does this war “for nationalism”, or pushed to not be a common organization. We still don’t understand this. But today, between them, this enmity, which has become bloody, is not stopped.
- The royals have no enmity, neither with the National-Liberator nor with the ‘Balli’, but they do not help either side against the other. Even, we have our friends, in that of the National-Liberator. But they don’t ask us for help even if they ask us; we don’t give it to you. That we never engage in fratricide with Albanians, even if it were not for the British, American, Russian, Yugoslav foreign organizers. We could come in between them to reconcile them, but today, they don’t even want to let us.”
These were full of pain, the last news I presented to King Zog in London and the Turkish Government, the adjutant remembers. Memorie.al
The next issue follows