The first part
Memorie.al/ publishes some archival documents extracted from the Archive of the Ministry of Internal Affairs which belong to the investigative and judicial file of the so-called “Group of Deputies”, which included 24 defendants and among them names and well-known personalities of the period. of the Anti-Fascist National Liberation War and later deputies of the Albanian Parliament or in the Presidency of the Democratic Front of Albania headed by Colonel-General, Enver Hoxha, as Shefqet Beja, Dr. Enver Sazani, Sheh Ibrahim Karbunara, etc., who were brought before a military court headed by Major Niko Çeta and prosecutor Josif Pashko.
What were the charges formulated by the trial panel against the 24 defendants: Shefqet Beja, Enver Sazani, Sheh Ibrahimi (Karbunara), Selaudin Toto, Irfan Majuni, Tefik Deliallisi, Hysen Shehu, Salim Kokalari, Sulo Konjari, Ramazan Tabaku, Gjovalin Vlashi, Rustem Sharra, Xhevat Xhafa, Rram Marku, Beqir Çela, Riza Alizoti, Sulo Klosi, Saggioti Paolo, Foto Bala, Abdyl Kokoshi, Shefki Minarolli, Pertef Karagjozi, Mehmet Prishtina and Agathokli Xhitoni?
What did the defendants of the “Parliamentary Group” testify during the investigative and judicial process, regarding: their organization, the branches they had in different districts of the country, the people who headed them, the connections with the anti-communist resistance groups that were on the run, or nationalist exponents of Balli and Legality who were in the Italian camps, the support they had from the Anglo-Americans and their missions operating in Albania, the connections with senior military senior members of the Ministry of National Defense and that of Internal Affairs, and to people with high functions, near Enver Hoxha, etc.
The documents we are publishing in this article belong to the judicial and investigative file of the so-called “Group of Deputies” who were arrested and taken as defendants by the communist regime of Enver Hoxha, being placed in the dock of the accused in early September. 1947. in that trial which took place in the Cinema “17 Nëntori” of the capital from 4 to 27 September, when the claim was given, 24 people were tried as defendants, most of whom were well-known personalities. Of the Antifascist National Liberation War.
Most of them were well-known intellectuals who had graduated from Western universities and some of them, such as Shefqet Beja, Enver Sazani and Sheh Ibrahim Karbunara, were members of the Albanian Parliament, nominated as candidates of the Democratic Front led by from the Communist Party led by Enver Hoxha.
Apart from these three very well-known nationalists and very popular all over the country, who were the leaders of that group of defendants, known as the “Group of Deputies”, a large part of them were anti-Zogists and had supported or had taken an active part in the Anti-Fascist National Liberation War. Also in that group were other intellectuals and various merchants, who had not joined any of the three political forces (Balli, Legality and the Communist Party) during the war, but who had frozen and embraced liberal ideas. -democrats of Western countries where they had studied, having strong anti-communist tendencies.
The trial of the “Group of Deputies” which began with a great pomoz by the propaganda of the communist regime, making available its entire arsenal of radio, newspapers and posters pasted on the walls, in terms of size and importance of his, was the second largest process developed up to that time since the end of the War. The first trial took place in March 1945, known as the “Special Trial against War Criminals” and 64 people appeared on the dock of that trial, most of them holding senior positions. in all Albanian governments from that of Ismail Qemali, to those under German occupation, such as deputies, prime ministers, ministers, prefects, mayors, ambassadors, senior military, etc.
Unlike the Special Court of March 1945, where all those persons whom the communist regime of Enver Hoxha had declared as “enemies and war criminals” were tried as defendants, the trial of the Group of Deputies, which began on September 4, in 1947, there was an even greater political and social burden, and of extraordinary interest, as some of the personalities who had joined the ranks of the Democratic Front, led by the newly ruling Communist Party, were tried there.
From various testimonies obtained from the family members of the “Group of Deputies”, as well as from the former military of the Ministry of Interior of that time, almost all the defendants of that group, during the investigation process were subjected to torture by the most inhuman in order to accept the accusations leveled against them by the investigators. It is clearly seen from the court file of that process, where some of the defendants during their trial denied the evidence they gave during the investigation, saying: “We were not able and we signed them.”
In addition to those testimonies denied in that trial, there is much more evidence by the defendants of that trial, which speaks of their anti-communist activity and activity, starting from the period of the War until the time they were arrested. , where Sheqet Beja, Enver Sazani, Ibrahim Karbunara, Hysen Shehu, Tefik Deliallisi, Sulo Kloso, Salim Kokalari, Beqir Çela, etc., have accepted all their activity aimed at overthrowing the Communist Government of Enver Hoxha. Also in that court file it is seen that the defendants have admitted their connections and cooperation with the Anglo-American missions led by Harry Fultz and General Hodgson, as well as the connections with the main nationalist exponents of Balli and Legality, who were in exile or in fled through the mountains. In addition to the many testimonies made by the defendants of that trial (always referring to the file in question), which show their connections and anti-communist activity to overthrow the communist regime, one of the most interesting testimonies in that trial is made by Tefik Deliallisi, where he tells about the conversation made at the house of Ymer Keçi in Tirana, where Ymeri charged Hamdi Kacolles, (the man who served next to Myslym Peza) with the assassination of Colonel-General, Enver Hoxha and Koci Xoxa, during the visit that they would do in Peza.
Although Memorie.al has the entire court file of this group, which consists of 173 typed pages and has been extracted from the Archive of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, we decided to publish only some of its main parts, giving those in the original version, as they appear in the relevant file.
- Chairman: Major Niko Çeta
- Member: Captain I, Nexhat Hyseni
- Captain II, Mustafa Iljazi
- Chief Secretary: Aspirant Thoma Rino
- Prosecutor: Deputy General Prosecutor, Josif Pashko
- Shefqet Beja
- Enver Sazani
- Sheh Ibrahimi (Karbunara)
- Selaudin Toto
- Irfan Majuni
- Tefik Deliallisi
- Hysen Shehu
- Salim Kokalari
- Sulo Konjari
- Ramazan Tabaku
- Gjovalin Vlashi
- Rustem Sharra
- Xhevat Xhafa
- Rram Marku
- Beqir Çela
- Riza Alizoti
- Sulo Klosi
- Saggioti Paolo
- Photo Bala
- Abdyl Kokoshi
- Shefki Minarolli
- Pertef Karagjozi
- Mehmet Prishtina
- Agathokli Xhitoni
Forming a treacherous-sabotage organization, linked to war criminals outside and inside Albania and pushed and aided by agents of Anglo-American imperialism, they committed acts of sabotage, espionage, terrorism for the forcible overthrow of the People’s Power and for conduct in force of the oppressive regime of Balli e Legalitet. After that the appeal of the defendants was made which all happened to be present. Their identities were taken:
- Shefqet Beja, son of Hasim and Hava, born in 1912, in Durrës and resident there, with commercial profession, married with children, with unpunished primary education.
- Enver Sazani, son of Hilmi and Nafija, 37 years old, born in Himara and resident in Tirana, married with one child, with higher education, doctor profession, unpunished.
- Chief Ibrahim Karbunara, son of Rushit and Hamdija, age 67, born and living in the village Karbunarë of Lushnja, with a religious profession, graduated from the Madrasa, married with children, unpunished.
- Selaudin Toto, son of Riza and Hilvija, 34 years old, born in the village Progonat of Kurvelesh and resident in Tirana, by profession Professor, with higher education, unconvicted.
- Irfan Majuni, son of Hiqmet and Hava, 36 years old, born in Dibër and resident in Tirana, employed as a clerk, married with children, with secondary education, unpunished.
- Tefik Deliallisi, son of Masari and Nurija, 37 years old, born in Shijak and resident in Durrës, with the profession of Teacher, married with children, with secondary education, not convicted.
- Hysen Shehu, son of Ibrahim and the Sultan, born in 1912 in the village of Karbunarë of Lushnja, married, with 2 years of gymnasium, unconvicted.
- Salim Kokalari, son of Selim and Xhevo, aged 50, born in Gjirokastra and resident in Durrës, Teacher, married with children, with secondary education, convicted in 1935 politically and in February 1946 for gold smuggling.
- Sulo Konjari, son of Idriz and Ballkëz, 44 years old, born in Gjirokastra and resident in Durrës, by profession Pharmacist, married with children, with primary education, not convicted.
- Ramazan Tabaku, son of Hysejn and Gjyle, 46 years old, born in Tirana and resident in Durrës, by profession telegraph operator, married with children, with primary education unpunished.
- Gjovalin (Gjon) Vlashi, son of Gjergji and Roza, 34 years old, born and living in Durrës, by profession Lawyer, unmarried, with higher education, not convicted.
- Rustem Sharra, son of Haxhiu and Nurija, 40 years old, born and living in Kavaja, by trade, married with children, with primary education, unpunished.
- Xhevat Xhafa, son of Hasan and Bakusha, 34 years old, born and living in Kavaja, with the profession of Teacher, married with children, with secondary education, unpunished.
- Rram Marku, son of Haxhiu and Khadija, 46 years old, from the village of Shatol in Shijak, farmer by profession, married with children, with primary education, sentenced in Zog’s time to 21 years in prison for murder.
- Beqir Çela, son of Mustafa and Emine, 34 years old, from Durrës, by profession Teacher, married with children, with secondary education, not convicted.
- Riza Alizoti, son of Fejzi and Ismihan, 37 years old, born in Istanbul, Turkey and resident in Kuçova, with the profession of engineer, married with children, with higher education, unpunished.
- Sulo Klosi, son of Ismail and Zakija, 31 years old, born in Klos of Mallakastra and resident in Tirana; by profession an engineer, married with children, with higher education, politically convicted in Zog’s time.
- Paolo Saggiati, son of Domenico and Geneva, 40 years old, born in Manutto and resident in Gova, Italy, resident in Kuçova, professional industrial worker, unmarried, head of the Industrial Institute, unconvicted, who was asked translator Captain I Gafur Korça.
- Foto Bala, son of Dhimitri and Maria, 37 years old, born in the village of Vuno in Himara and resident in Korça, Professor, married with children, with higher education, unpunished.
- Abdyl Kokoshi, son of Asim and Meshtana, 37 years old, born in Vlora and resident in Tirana, with a profession of coffee maker, with higher education (law faculty), married with children, unpunished.
- Shefki Minarolli, son of Refat and Gjylizar, aged 44, from Pogradec, and baneus in Elbasan, by profession Hotelier, married with children, with primary education, unconvicted.
- Pertef Karagjozi, son of Sami and Bedrije, 39 years old, born in Gjirokastra and resident in Tirana, by profession clerk, married with children, with secondary education, unpunished.
- Mehmet Prishtina, son of Jahjaj and Gjylizar, born in 1926 in Shijak and resident in Tirana, with commercial profession, unmarried, with 3 classes of Gymnasium, unconvicted.
- Agathokli Ghitoni, son of Thomas and Athena, aged 59, born and residing in Përmet, profession Writer-public, married with children, with secondary education, sentenced to 5 years in prison for minor offenses.
Testimony of Hysen Shehu
The defendant Hysen Shehu is questioned on this, who was mainly assigned as Defense Counsel Mr. Ilija Kote and accepted.
The indictment of the Prosecutor was sung to you and he said that he accepts it.
After being asked, he stated: “During the occupation I was an education clerk. I was part of the National Democratic Group of Deputies, which aimed to overthrow the current government and take it in hand, I started the activity in February 1945, but since 1944, when on the occasion of the Congress of Several delegates had come to Berat from Lushnja, Shefqet Beja, Ymer Keçi, Muharrem Vllamasi had gathered at my house in Karbunarë. There, Shefqet Beja said that at the Congress of Berat it was understood that everything was in the hands of the Communist Party, and our efforts were in vain “. There he said that in this way he had talked with Gjergj Kokoshi and Suat Asllani; Ymer Keçi also said that he had talked with Gjergji Kokoshi and Suat Asllani about this work. Here it was decided to gather in Tirana to talk with other friends. In February 1945, we had a meeting at the house of Shefqet Beja in Tirana, where Tefik Deliallisi, Selaudin Toto, Salim Kokalari, Kol Kuqali, Enver Sazani, Kostandin Boshnjaku were. The meeting was opened by Shefqet Beja, who said that as we had talked before and with other friends, we must form an organization. I came to this meeting with my father Shef Ibrahim Karbunara with the Front car sent to me by Shefqeti, who informed me that I had to come with my father. After Shefqet, Kostandin Boshnjaku, Selaudin Toto, Enver Sazani and Kol Kuqali spoke in turn. The latter d.m.th. Kol Kuqali, said that we should report this work to the Anglo-Americans. Kostandin Boshnjaku said that Kola’s opinion was good. It was decided to call Gjergj Kokoshi, Musine Kokalari, Suat Asllani, Cen Elezi and Faik Shehu to this organization. Shefqet said that we should be well organized and, with the help of the Anglo-Americans, overthrow the government. Here it was decided that this organization was illegal. At this meeting we decided to tell all the friends and loyal elements we knew about the formation of this organization. We held the next meeting in March 1945, at the house of Ymer Keçi, where we were the first and Salim Kokalari, Gjergj Kokoshi and Sami Çeribashi. The meeting was opened by Shefqet Beja. Kol Kuqali spoke here, who said that if you see it and you should report it to the Anglo-Americans.
At the first meeting, it was decided that Kol Kuqali and Selaudin Toto would go to the Anglo-Americans and report to them: in the third meeting, they reported to us about this issue, telling us that the Anglo-Americans welcomed our organization well. In this meeting it was decided to establish Committees in all centers of Albania and to make connections with the fugitive criminals inside and outside Albania. The connections with the criminals in Shkodra would be made by Riza Dani, in Korça Kol Kuqali, in Durrës Tefik Deliallisi, in Dibër Faik Shehu, Irfan Majuni and Selman Ndreu and in Gjirokastra Selahudin Totua. In this meeting Abdyl Kokoshi represented Balli, who had received letters from Mithat Frashëri and Ali Këlcyra; Sami Çeribashi represented a group of nationalists, Gjergj Kokoshi, Suat Asllani and Musine Kokalari represented the Social-Democrat and our group Naciona-Demokrat. Here it was decided to collaborate between the groups. We set the night of the uprising on November 17 and it would take place in Shkodra because the Anglo-Americans had told us about it, that as soon as Shkodra was taken by the insurgents, in 3 days they would land. I received She 180 from Shefqet Beja in front of the Dajti Hotel, paper and gold, which he gave to some people in the organization who were financially constrained. I do not know who else received the money. On the question of the prosecutor, the defendant said: It was decided for an uprising in Shkodra, that the Anglo-Americans had asked for it and that the reaction there was more organized. When Shkodra was attacked, the fugitives from other districts would also attack to come to your aid. I heard about Cen Elez’s escape and it was good for us, but when his sons surrendered we did not like it and on this occasion we had a meeting, where it was decided to inform the Anglo-Americans from Kol Kuqali and Selaudin Toto./Memorie.al