Memorie.al/ publishes for the first time the photos of the building of the headquarters of the Albanian embassy in the United Nations, located in New York of the United States of America. This embassy would serve as one of the most important diplomatic residences of official Tirana, not only on the American continent, but also worldwide. In 1955, when it was inaugurated, and until 1972, the diplomatic headquarters of the People’s Republic of Albania at the UN, it would be located at 86, 446 East. Then from 1972 until 1990, its offices were moved just a few feet below Route 87, area 250 East, New York.
In the years 1945 – 1955, as offices for the attachment of Albania to the United Nations, the offices of the Yugoslav and later the Soviet embassy located in Washington DC would be used. This building in the years 1955-1991 would serve at the same time and as one of the centers of the Third Directorate of State Security (Political Intelligence), which in addition to the organization to which it was attached, would cover the territory of the United States of America. America and Canada.
One of the main tasks during its 35 years of existence during the Cold War period would be, surveillance and attempts to infiltrate the ranks of Albanian anti-communist political emigration to the US and Canada. Some of the most famous exponents of this directorate, who would serve camouflaged as diplomats in this embassy, were: Nesti Kopali, Kleanth Andoni, Todi Rizo, Kozma Moja, Sokrat Como, Ilia Zhulati, Mëno Dedaj, Hidai Xhafa, Mark Tusha , Bashkim Spaho, etc./Memorie.al