Memorie.al publishes some unknown documents issued by the Central State Archive in Tirana (fund of the former Central Committee of the ALP), which belong to a voluminous file with the initials “Top secret”, where there is a correspondence between the leaders of the communist regime of that time, such as: Hysni Kapo, Mehmet Shehu, Ramiz Alia, Kadri Hazbiu, Hekuran Isai, etc., who through various reports and reports compiled by them, inform the leadership of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the ALP, regarding the difficult political and economic situation that our country was going through, before and after the breakdown of political, economic and military relations with the People’s Republic of China. Full correspondence between the main leaders of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Directorate of State Security, the Ministry of People’s Defense, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Party and Executive Committees of the districts, as well as the Branches of Internal Affairs in the cities of for positive and negative conversations and comments made by different people, such as intellectuals, workers, the military and the cooperative peasantry, as well as by the “declassed elements and enemies”, regarding the situation in which the country was after the breakdown of relations. Official of Albania, with the People’s Republic of China and whatever happened after that with the small communist country of the Balkans, which propagated that ‘it would build socialism, only with its own forces’?!
In the beginning of 1978, as a result of the deterioration of the official relations of communist Albania with the People’s Republic of China, which had started to take its first rift since the beginning of the ’70s when Mao Zedong’s People’s China with sides of the “ping-pong policy” began to approach the US and received in Beijing Secretary of State Henry Kissinger and then President Nixon, it seems that official Tirana “set the alarm”. Among other things, this is clear from a large number of official documents of that time, which contain the “Top Secret” correspondence of the Central Committee of the ALP, the Ministry of Interior, the Ministry of Defense, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as and Party and Executive Committees in the districts and Branches of Internal Affairs, which clearly reflect not only the official position of the senior leadership of the ALP headed by Enver Hoxha, but in general that of the various strata of society Albanians, (intellectuals, workers, cooperative peasantry, military, schoolchildren and students, communists, “declassed elements and enemies”, etc.), to the Communist Party of China and the Chinese government, regarding the immediate severance of political relations, economic, and military by it on July 28, 1978.
Thus, the former closest ally of official Tirana since the early 1960s, Mao Zedong’s communist China, would suddenly become its biggest ideological enemy, after the US and the Soviet Union. This is clear in the lines of these documents that bear the logo “Top secret”, where there is great fear and deep paranoia that has gripped the communist regime and the highest leaders of its leadership, from: Enver Hoxha, Hysni Kapo, Mehmet Shehu, Ramiz Alia, Kadri Hazbiu, Hekuran Isai, etc., down to the base of that power with local government officials, who transmitted that anxiety and insecurity to the common people, school students, workers, and up to the cooperative peasantry.
These documents, which for the first time see the light of publication by Memorie.al, are a clear picture of the situation and the honorable situation in which the communist regime and official Tirana were at that time, especially after the “Open Letter” to the Chinese leadership. , who accused him of “high treason against the course and line of Marxism-Leninism.” In the context of the development of events, where the top leadership of the communist regime, all raised in alarm, has mobilized all state machinery and its structures, headed by the State Security, to keep the situation under full control. And mainly by surveying its political opponents, whom it considered a “declassed element and enemy of the class”, which occupies a key place in these reports-information, where the State Security bodies, through the Minister of Internal Affairs , Kadri Hazbiu and his deputies, such as Feçor Shehu, Rexhep Kolli, etc., inform in detail the senior leadership, mainly Hysni Kapon, (member of the Politburo and secretary of the Central Committee of the ALP, which covered the organs of the ‘Dictatorship of proletariat ‘) for everything that the “enemy of the class” spoke and commented on, in every district of the country, as well as the positive comments made by them.
This and others, look best in these archival documents with the initials “Top secret”, where the former “Chinese brothers”, who at that time worked in Albania, as staff and specialists in various industrial works from the South to the North of the country, such as: Metallurgical Plant in Elbasan, Ferro-chrome Plant in Burrel, Paper Factory in Lezha, Pashaliman Military Base, Tank and Artillery Plant in Shish-Tufina, Combat Ammunition Plant in Elbasan Doctors, Weapons Production Plant in Poliçan, etc., have already become “agents, saboteurs and conspirators” and are monitored everywhere and at every step. The equipment, armaments and all military technology, starting from tanks, planes, submarines, torpedoes, heavy artillery, etc., with which the People’s Republic of China had supplied communist Albania for free for years, now resulted in “serious defects” and sabotaged by “Chinese revisionists”.
Such a thing, the “synoptic picture” that the communist regime was going through before and after the breakup with China, was identical, had been seen several times over the years, when official Tirana, led by Enver Hoxha, decided to sever relations with states that until the last moment had its closest “allies”, such as the Anglo-Americans, Tito’s Yugoslavia and Stalin’s Soviet Union and those who followed him, such as Khurshov, Brezhnev, etc.
The series of “friends-enemies” began with the Anglo-American missions, who until they were expelled from the country in November 1946, were “liberators and true contributors to the Anti-Fascist National Liberation War”, and then returned to countries and states. Most hated and unwanted for the Albanian communists. The same would happen to the Yugoslavs, who when deported from Albania in 1948-49 were considered “revisionists and agents of the West”. To continue with the “Soviet brothers of father Stalin”, the closest ally of communist Albania who after 1961, were considered by official Tirana, as “the most dangerous revisionists the world had known until then”. And this thing would be repeated identically with the Chinese, which was officially made public, that hot end-July of 1978, when after the “Open Letter” of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the ALP and the Council of To the Ministers of the People’s Republic of Albania, sent to the Chinese government and the Communist Party of China, China withdrew from Albania all its specialists, civil and military?!
Report-information of the Director of the III Directorate in the Ministry of Interior (Directorate of External Intelligence), Mehmet Çaka, addressed to the Secretary of the Central Committee of the ALP, Hekuran Isai
I think you should get acquainted with the information in question, among other things, about the interest of the Chinese and the answers given by Dollanci about the relations with our country, during Tito’s visit to China. This information was sent to Comrade Mehmet and Comrade Hysni
With respect, Feçor Shehu
SOCIALIST PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF ALBANIA SECRET
MINISTRY OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS Copy no. 1
DIRECTORY OF III No. 572
Tirana, on 14.4.1978
I N F O R M A T I O N
From our sources we are informed that:
- Speaking about Pristina’s political visit to China, Stane Dollanci said that Hua Kuo Feni asked Tito about his relations with the oldest party in the Balkans (ALP). Tito told him that Dollanci would inform you about this. In his response, Dollanci said that Stalin had left the Yugoslavs free to annex Albania, but the Yugoslav leadership did not accept this. For its part, Yugoslavia has given Albania a great help in all areas. Stalin is the cause of the strained relations between the two countries. Currently the Yugoslav leadership is for the further development of relations with Albania in all areas.
- At the Faculty of Political Science of the University of Belgrade, a series of lectures on Chinese foreign policy is taking place, especially on the Chinese attitude towards Taiwan, Sino-US relations, Sino-Soviet, Sino-Yugoslav, as well as its relations with international organizations. program that will continue for two months.
In the lecture given a few weeks ago by a representative of “TANJUG” in Beijing, he emphasized, among other things, these moments of Chinese politics:
-China’s opening in relations with all other countries, especially with the USA.
-Chinese tendencies to improve relations with the Soviet Union, despite propagating the Soviet threat.
-Continuous improvement of relations with Yugoslavia in all areas and directions.
-Political and ideological contradictions with the ALP and the People’s Republic of Albania, on foreign policy problems. The petitioner stressed that so far neither side has come out openly with direct criticism.
- Kosovar leadership is dissatisfied with the burial of Hasan Prishtina’s remains in Kukës. Mahmut Bakalli, in a close conversation, said that Hasan Prishtina is a Kosovar and should be buried in Kosovo.
Since the Albanian leaders thought of withdrawing his remains from Greece, they had informed us and together we decided where to bury them. If we were to be asked, we could agree that the remains be buried in Vlora, or in Tirana, as a prominent figure of the National Renaissance, but it is not good for them to be buried in Kukës”.
We have problems in pursuit.
DIRECTOR OF THE DIRECTORATE OF III
Report-information of the first secretary of the Party Committee of Vlora district, Gaqo Nesho, sent to the secretary of the Central Committee of the ALP, Hekuran Isai
ALBANIAN SECRET LABOR PARTY
VLORA DISTRICT PARTY COMMITTEE Sample no. 1 No. 1234
Vlora, on 15/7/1978
CENTRAL COMMITTEE OF ALP
SHOKUT HEKURAN ISAI
Subject: On the comments and archetypal slogans according to their evaluation and direction we can group:
- IN THE DIRECTION OF THE EXTERNAL SITUATION
- Concerning China: “They broke up with China and remained like fish without water”
- The elaborating elements of the Yugoslav leadership have made these hostile comments: “Why did the leader of the party in Gjirokastra speak only about a handful of people from Dropull and did not speak about the Kosovar and Macedonian people who are a great people. “Ay spoke about them because he is afraid of the Greek state not to attack him.”
“That Tito is very good, that he has won the authority and sympathy of the whole world.” “That economic life in Yugoslavia is much better than in our country.” “Even if they want Kosovo to go with Albania, Kosovars themselves do not accept to be separated from Titua, because it has created a very good economic situation, that every house has a car, etc.”
- The elaborating elements of the Greek leadership have stated: “It seems as if the relations with Greece have normalized the Greeks think more deeply and to understand them, you have to be the head, they have their goals, let alone what they say, they lie… ”.
- Elements in terms of Soviet intelligence have commented; “Soviet science is more advanced, and no matter how much they learn, they do not catch up with the Soviets. They love everything with cobras, they have no bread to eat and they think about science… ”
- IN THE DIRECTION OF THE INTERNAL SITUATION
- The declassed, expropriated and bad-tempered elements have expressed themselves: “These are bourgeois. That the situation in our country is not very good, but it is favorable to us. Now that they are broken and with China they will be left alone. Soon there will be changes in Albania and we will get rid of them, but where will those who drank our blood put. “They talk like whistles that it is their time, but the time has come for us and we will know how to speak.”
-The three Frashëri brothers have been enemies, rich and have ravaged the people. So is the great Party… “. “That abroad there is a good life and there is freedom…”. “Because here the laws are old and strong…” etc.
- B) In terms of economy: “Life in our country is hard, you no longer live on dry bread, because abroad you work 4 hours and live a week”. “Agricultural cooperatives work about 10-12 hours and are not seeing any change.”Everyone works only for these dogs, 90% of the people work harder, and 10% wander around in cars and have fun.”
- C) In terms of Art and Culture – Young intellectuals with a hostile attitude have spoken: “Here in Albania all the youth are dissatisfied, most people are interned and in prisons. They also killed Qemal Stafa, regardless of what they say the enemies killed him “.”If you look at the exhibition, everything is only for the main leader, who knows what he did; he stabbed us in the heart, even his friends, so much so that in every speech they praise only him …”!
-Some old intellectuals with hostile backgrounds and attitudes have spoken: “That the English writer sang to the beautiful… .So now it is not allowed to open brothels…” and other degenerate concepts, which seek to spread depravity and degeneration.
- In other directions:
-During this period, five people were pursued for attempted escape. Four of them have been arrested. Two people are now being prosecuted for attempted escape. We have no elaborations on terror and diversion.
In all this hostile activity, 176 people have been activated. 79 of them live in the city and 97 in the village. Most were under operational control, with the exception of 23 people. It is positive that we have had 34 denunciations from the masses.
Hostile comments and slogans have been most pronounced in the cities of Vlora, Himara, Dhërmi, Dukat, Narta and Selenica.
The following measures have been taken by us to oppose this activity: 4 people were arrested, 14 people were advised and one was unmasked. According to the data we had, in these areas and villages we did an ideo-political work with the masses.
The ATSA statement regarding China was worked out in an organized manner in all the working collectives of the district within two days. Everywhere he found approval and confidence in the straight line of the ALP and made commitments to face the situation that will be created by the unilateral cutting of Chinese supplies and the withdrawal of their specialists. /Memorie.al
FIRST SECRETARY OF THE DISTRICT