Memorie.al publishes some archival documents issued by the Central State Archive in Tirana (fund of the former Central Committee of the ALP), which kept the “secret” logo and belong to 1973, where the two senior officials of the apparatus of The Central Committee for Foreign Relations, Agim Popa and Pirro Bita, through an information, instruct the head of the Albanian embassy in the capital Santiago of Chile in South America, regarding the work they should do, the relations with their foreign colleagues of the diplomatic corps accredited in Santiago, aid to Marxist-Leninist groups, etc., to the attitude they should have towards the government of Salvador Allende es!
Chile in the early 1970s would be characterized by a profound political-economic and social instability caused by the extremely radical immediate reforms of President Salvador Allende and his government to key sectors of the economy, the energy industry and that mining, exploited for years by American concessionaire firms. These left-wing and hasty reforms would express dissatisfaction with the moderate part of the left-wing coalition, which would provoke a deep government crisis in the coming months. The deep division of Allende’s left-wing governing coalition would alarm the official Albanian foreign policy sector in the Central Committee of the ALP, to the extent that the head of that sector, Agim Popa, would be forced to give strong instructions. for an indifferent and not very cooperative attitude of the staff of the Albanian embassy with the forces of the ruling coalition and with the other Left Parties in the distant South American country.
And this, as official Tirana not only felt the indifference of the Chilean communists to develop a very friendly relationship with them, but would be fully “capable of predicting” the rapid destruction of the left-wing hybrid government of Salvador Allende. And indeed, the left-wing social experiment in Chile would end tragically on September 11, 1973, when the Chief of General Staff of the Chilean Army, General Augusto Ugarte Pinochet, along with the Infantry, Navy, Aviation forces, the police, and the DINA secret service (with the tacit support of the CIA and the Pentagon), would carry out a horrific coup, attacking the Presidential Palace, La Moneda. And as a result of these events, the only diplomatic missions of the communist states stationed in Santiago, such as the Soviet Union, Cuba, and Albania, would be evacuated immediately a few hours later. An attack in which President Allende himself would fight to the death with a gun in his hand. General Pinochet’s right-wing military junta would then run Chile with an iron fist for 17 years, until his departure in 1990.
Regarding the above, in this article for the first time we are publishing in full two secret reports of the Central Committee of the ALP, of March and July 1973. The first belongs to the head of the External Sector of the Central Committee of the ALP Pirro Bita, and talks about the political-economic and social situation in Chile in the ’70s and his relations with Albania, while the second compiled by his successor, head of the Foreign Sector at the Central Committee of the ALP, Agim Popa (otherwise known as the translator of the Albanian delegation led by Enver Hoxha at the Meeting of 81 Parties in Moscow), addressed to the Albanian Embassy in Santiago, Chile, and especially to the then newly sent ambassador to this country, Përparim Spahiut.
According to the document in question, in the second report addressed to our embassy in the capital of Chile, Santiago, Agim Popa, clearly explains all the protocol procedure that the embassy staff had to follow and also gives clear advice and instructions regarding the official position of communist Tirana’s foreign policy regarding ideological support for the left-wing ruling coalition in Chile, called the ‘People’s Unity’ led by President Salvador Allende. For more, we are familiar with the two documents in question, which Memorie.al. publishes them in full and without any changes.
follows from the previous number
Letter from Agim Popa from the Central Committee of the ALP to the Albanian Embassy in Chile
ALBANIAN LABOR PARTY Tirana, July 1973
CENTRAL COMMITTEE OF ALP
– External Sector –
EMBASSIES SE R.P. TO ALBANIA SANTIAGO
We should keep such a reserved attitude with other people who come to us at the embassy as m-l, but we do not know them. Beware of many provocative elements who may try to connect with us by exploiting any path.
- In order to better understand the state of the Marxist-Leninist movement on that continent, we must provide various sources of information. The main ones are:
- The press of the Parties itself m-l. It must be studied very carefully. Through him we must know the line and the activity of the Party in question, the problems that concern everyone, as well as the attitudes towards our Party and its experience. It is understood that without the authorization of the center you should not make remarks to their press (except in some serious case, which you cannot keep silent, especially when it has to do with our Party). It is also clear that by mail you can only get the press that is published legally, but not the one that comes out illegally.
This must be provided in other ways. You should also provide these rules for sending the Party press to the Central Committee. It is good that the Party press (the one that comes out legally, is sent by air mail to the address of our embassy in Rome, while the illegal one, as a rule, should be sent by you by diplomatic courier. Interested parties should not know how You are responsible for sending their press to Tirana, on the routes defined by each. Regardless of the arrival time of diplomatic couriers, you have to do three or four months of party press analysis , who to send by courier to the Central Committee of the Party.
- Data from conversations that take place in different meetings. As a rule, the representatives of the parties m-l in each meeting raise different problems. Often, they do not raise problems directly, but indirectly, implicitly, or even by first investigating our position on one issue or another. In these cases, it seems that the conversation does not matter. But this is not always the case. Therefore, as we said above, every conversation should be recorded within the day. Regular gathering of this information will be useful later and will make us understand more clearly about various problems.
That information will give us the opportunity to get to know better the representatives of the Parties m-l, the assessments they make of the connections with K.Q. of our Party, the ability, type and character of each. We have been impressed by the fact that Comrade Beniks has come to the embassy (or the house where you live) several times, but he has never told you about the great disunity they have in the leadership. Our Central Committee has information that Mario Arancibia, the painter Ventureli, etc., have split from Beniks, Palacio, etc., and two rival groups have been formed.
It is said that the former also has the support of Chinese comrades. Many Chileans, not Chileans, know about this rift. But the information you have is too shallow. It is known that it would not be good to ask Beniks or Palacion directly about this matter. But other avenues can be found, for example, the pretext for a meeting with Marion or his wife, with Venturel or his girlfriend can be found, the meeting with Brazilian friends can be used, of course carefully and tactfully.
On this occasion we remind you that it is not permissible for us to give our opinions to the representatives of one Party for another Party, especially when it comes to remarks and criticism. Meanwhile, we need to know the opinion they have about other parties, but we must ensure this very carefully and not become partners in the views they have about a third party.
- The data of other non-Marxist-Leninist friends, but in revolutionary positions in general. In Chile it is not difficult to establish friendships and connections through the Killian-Albanian Friendship Institute, as well as through other people. Their thoughts on the M-l Parties of different countries may be of interest to us. Obviously, we should not ask our questions openly, without the necessary care and tact. We should do the same for the opinions that can be expressed by the representatives of other leftist groups.
- Party Press of other political groups. To follow carefully what he writes about the m-l movement, about its various representatives, etc.
- Knowledge of the main leaders of each m-l Party is of great importance. This should include their personal life, profession, income, lifestyle, marital status, political affiliation of family members, personal inclinations and desires, personal family political past, in short everything to do with their political and moral stance. This data is collected step by step are recorded regularly in the personal card of each, carefully selecting the data and always indicating their source with the time when the data in question were received.
All these studies, evidence and data that will be provided, will make sense when they are as accurate as possible and prepared in time to be sent to the Central Committee. Along with these you should occasionally send us books that talk about the socio-political problem of the main Latin American countries, as well as issues of special newspapers and magazines that have an important article, especially the newspapers and magazines “Position”, “Chili Hoy”, “Ercilla”, and some others. You can also send us such materials from Argentina, Peru, Mexico, Panama, Venezuela, Colombia, magazines and newspapers which are also sold in Chile.
- The Embassy can do a good job of recognizing the Marxist-Leninist movement when its activity is not limited to this area alone. On the contrary, all the comrades of the embassy should pay great attention to the legal state duties of the embassy on a daily basis. This means that the embassy will further expand its activity primarily with key figures of the ruling Party, as well as the Christian Democratic opposition and the army with MPs, senators, representatives of art, culture, literature, and friends of Albania… Only with personalities from the ultra-right parties, as well as with revisionist leaders do we keep in touch, when this is not mandatory for the diplomatic corps. The same can be done for connections and friendships with personalities of various newspapers and magazines.
But we have no connection with those of Mercury and others like her, which are widely published in Chile. On the other hand, the embassy should be very active with the diplomatic corps, from which valuable data for the country and Latin America can be provided. For this you have special instructions from the Ministry and we are not going to go into details. But there are many left-wing parties and groups in Chile that do not belong to the “People’s Unity” in power, which partially or do not support it at all. Representatives of these Party groups, though few, have begun to approach our embassy. But there may be more demand in the future. What attitude will they take?
- No connection to people who are illegal or representing illegal Parties or groups. As soon as you hear them, you will tell them openly and clearly that we do not deal with such tasks, that your task is to strengthen the friendship between the Chilean and Albanian peoples, that any interference in the internal affairs of Kosovo is foreign to you. another state and any activity that does not agree with the duties and mission of genuine diplomatic missions. So, cut the conversation short and leave no room for further meetings.
- Representatives of parties and other left-wing groups that operate legally, such as those of the M.I.R., etc., do not have to close the door. When they come, you wait for them correctly, listen to them as much as necessary without falling into their positions against the government in power, etc.
Materials on Albania can be provided. Make it clear to them when the need arises that we do not engage in anti-government activities, do not interfere in the internal affairs of other countries, do not commit any act that is contrary to the rules and laws of the country. Therefore, when we say not to close the door for you, it does not mean that we should ask about them, nor invite them on different occasions, etc. When there are some of them like Monika Gonzales, you can give her more material on Albania.
You can talk to her at length and tactfully about the content of her book, what problems she will highlight, what help she needs, etc., but not to ask to check the book. In this case the conversation can be warmer and the help closer. Courses for others, e.g. to help the sick Peruvian in Paris, we disagree, and leave in silence. Or if they come to you and ask for official contacts, you say that you, as diplomatic representatives, keep in touch only with the government in power.
- If people belonging to ultra-right parties and groups with fascist tendencies come to the embassy, even when they are operating illegally, as well as personalities from the revisionist parties, show them the way. It is good to follow the press of the most important parties and groups of the left, because from it you will learn the pressure that is put on the current government from the left, and often their articles present more clearly and better the general situation of the country.
As you know, Cubans, Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese, Romanians, etc. are aware of the activities of leftist groups, which you can use on a case-by-case basis. We are especially interested in getting to know MIR, which is the most active and widespread organization. Keep this in mind for a relationship.
- According to the Chilean press, over 30,000 political immigrants from Latin American countries live in Chile. You know that this issue was used by the opposition against the current government. Being generally a left-wing element, we have interests in getting to know some of them, especially those countries where we have no other connections (Venezuela, Peru, Colombia, Panama, Paraguay, and Central American countries in general). But before we take any concrete step we need to be better informed about each case.
We should get the data from m-l and local friends, from Brazilian friends, from Zamora or Rauli and anyone else we trust more. But no matter what they tell us, we must always judge matters by the line and attitudes of our Party. We should only make connections with them when they are illegal to the local government and when there is a reason to meet. For example, Berchenko told you that some of his friends, honest people from Venezuela, had spoken ill of a Jesus Marquez, a Venezuelan who was in Albania.
So, the reason for meeting this is, at least ostensibly to thank them and get more accurate information from them. This case can be used well to know even better the situation of the left forces in Venezuela. This was just one example. You will only receive information from them, you will “continue the friendship” further only if any interest is presented. Or Zamora speaks sympathetically about “Patria Boja” in Peru. You pretend that you do not know anything about this and in any convenient case you ask him what organization this is, what it has to do with the ml Parties, why they do not cooperate, what is its composition, line and activity, how he considers it in compared to the Party etc. etc.
There may be people from them, or even locals who ask you for addresses of other m-l Parties. Tell them right away that you do not know them and you are sorry that you cannot help them. These attitudes should be maintained with everyone, whoever he is. Only with the authorization of the Central Committee can you give an address from what you know.
- We say all this for the following main reasons:
- To improve, by better organizing the work towards the Marxist-Leninist movement. Now that you have gained a lot of experience, is it worth the rent burden for you to analyze this work yourself, in all directions and set tasks for the coming months?
- To emphasize once again that every part in this regard must be done carefully, so as not to create any incident in the state relations with the Chilean government, not to give any reason to the local reaction to attack us. That is why the biggest activity of the embassy in the state duties mentioned above is very important, the activity of which should be given precedence and which should be dealt with by the three fellow diplomats that you are now:
- More and more effectively can and should be worked in the field of propaganda for our country. You have some material base, especially for exhibitions, etc. The ministry will send you more. The job is to use them properly and to the end. You may have developed activities in this regard, but we are not aware: now that you know the place and the situation better, you can organize the work even better.
- Finally we repeat once again that the previously set slogans are in force again. But they should be looked at, because the best can be found, and that some of them have even been used with the previous provisional figure. The new ambassador will also bring you knew slogans. We repeat once again that there is no need to ask Benix anymore, etc., if he will come and when he will come to Albania. They received the answer from us in time, and it is not us who hinders this issue./Memorie.al
EXTERNAL SECTOR RESPONSIBLE