Memorie.al publishes the unknown story of Aleksandër Kondos, the Albanian weightlifting legend who lost his life at the age of 27 in tragic and still completely unexplained circumstances, during a car accident in Queens New York, USA, where he was placed as a political immigrant after fleeing Albania in May 1985, staying in Yugoslavia at the time, after the national team returned from the European Weightlifting Championships held in Poland in those days. The complete voluminous file of the former State Security in charge of Aleksandër Kondos, declassified by the Authority for Information of the files of the former State Security, where there are hundreds of pages belonging to the period from 1981 when the operational pursuit and surveillance of regularly against him by the secret services of the communist regime, until 1987, when that file was finally archived, after his tragic death.
In Tirana in the early ’80s, not only for many sports fans but also beyond the young people of the Albanian capital, a young man stood out and stood out, then at the age of 20, as for his portrait and physique , as well as for the appearance, with the clothes of foreign fashion, who in his arms carried the sports bag that he never took off from his shoulder and on the other side, a big radio-tape recorder, which he brought from abroad when going out with the national weightlifting team in international activity. He was Aleksandër Kondo, a member of the “Dinamo” weightlifting team of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (where at that time he served as a senior soldier in the Republic Guard, also his father), and also of the national team, which at that time, thanks to the differentiated assessment and treatment of the communist regime in power in some serious sports, had achieved high results in the international arena.
The name of Aleksandër Kondo as an athlete began to become more and more famous, especially after his high results achieved in 1984, in the Sports Palace “Partizani” of the capital, when he fixed the figures 200 kg. (in the style of pushing) electrifying thousands of sports fans, (that day more spectators were outside the sports palace than inside it), who under numerous applause, did not leave the square in front of the palace, without seeing that guy up close, who had amazed them with his results and performance. Since that day, Sander Kondo almost became a myth in Tirana and Albania of that time, as his results came ever higher, not only in national championships, but also in the international arena where he consistently had high results. .
But much more than this period of time when Sander Kondo, was at the peak of his career, his name became even more famous and began to be discussed throughout the country, at the end of May 1985, when during an international event in the framework of the European Weightlifting Championship that took place in Warsaw, Poland, (where he lifted 210 kg.), Kondo did not return to Albania, but together with his teammate, Xhelal Sukniqi from Shkodra, from Montenegro went to Belgrade, waiting to gain political asylum in the US.
The event of the escape of two Albanian athletes caused a great commotion not only because of the great name and fame that Aleksandër Kondo had at that time, but also because that event became the object of “quarrel” between Albania and Yugoslavia, as official Tirana at that time publicly accused (in the newspaper “Zëri i Popullit”), the Yugoslav authorities, saying that the two Albanian athletes had been abducted by the Yugoslav secret services (UDB) and demanded their return home.
But that claim of official Tirana had nothing real, as Kondo and Sukniqi denied it in the meeting that took place in Belgrade, between the representatives of the Albanian embassy and its Ministry of Foreign Affairs, of the Yugoslav side, where Sander Kondo, after cursing the communist regime of Enver Hoxha again and again, tried to hit the Albanian diplomat with an ashtray, insisting that he should return to Albania, where his family and the whole society were waiting for him.
After that, Sander Kondo and Xhelal Sukniqi gained political asylum in the USA, where Sukniqi is still, while Kondo, lost his life in a car accident, on May 1, 1987, (always according to the official version of the communist regime of that time ), and his remains were returned to Albania in 2003.
All these have already been known for years, as much has been written about Aleksandër Kondo as the legend of Albanian weightlifting and his father, Vangjel Kondo, has given several interviews in both print and visual media, and even made some television documentaries, for all his life and history, until the day he parted from this life. But again, the “Alexander Kondo case” has not yet been fully clarified, especially the part related to his tragic death which continues to remain shrouded in mystery, as well as the surveillance of him by the Security of The Albanian State and its segments since 1981, which was made public for the first time by the Authority for Information of the Former State Security Files, headed by Mrs. Gentjana Mara Sula, who in 2018, handed over the file to the Kondo family, or more precisely to his father, Vangjel Kondo.
In that file that Mr. Vangjel Kondo has trusted him exclusively for the publication of Memorie.al, it is shed light and it becomes known, the evaluation, treatment and all the surveillance and persecution, which was done at that time by the communist regime of Enver Hoxha, one of voice of Albania, such as Aleksandër Kondo, who was well known in the international arena. Based on this fact, Memorie.al will publish the complete file in question (with the relevant facsimiles), in some issues of the dossier section.
Continued from the previous issue
Operational plan of the III State Security Directorate, for the surveillance and prosecution of Aleksandër Kondos in the countries where he could go
DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF DIRECTORATE III Single copy
N. Z. Tirana, on 25.6.1985
PLAN – MASASH
AGENT – OPERATIVE DIRECTED BY ALEXANDER KONDOS
Aleksandër Kondo is being pursued in processing 2 / A as a fugitive, who has rejected the request to return to Albania. He is currently in Yugoslavia, where on May 28, together with Xhelal Sukniqin, they disappeared in the town of Titograd, while transiting Yugoslavia and returning from the European Weightlifting Championships in Katowice, Poland. So far he has maintained a hostile stance against our country and is preparing to go to western countries. For this and to discover, document and prevent the hostile activity that Alexander Kondo may carry out against our country, the following measures will be taken:
- The residences of Belgrade, Rome and New York will be notified and instructed to take Alexander Kondo in the process of processing 2 / A and to follow the dynamics of his hostile actions. Perform P.op. F. H. until 30.6.1985. Controlled by Branch President K. M.
- Belgrade Residence to use all possible illegal and legal sources, in order to learn and collect data on his current stay in Yugoslavia, the countries he attends, the people he associates with and especially with Albanian refugees or UDB staff and agent etc.
- Make good use of the cases when friends of the embassy come to the headquarters, other legal sources as well as any fugitives who may come to the headquarters, in order to learn and collect information about his whereabouts, various movements in conversations with them. Which he can do through the territory of Yugoslavia as well as his departure to other countries. Perform Rez. Of Belgrade the task of continuation, controls the President of the Branch K. M.
- To work in dynamics to use all opportunities and resources to learn and clarify the truth of the event of May 28 in Titograd, the circumstances of the event. Subsequent actions after leaving the group of athletes, what they have deposited before the local authorities, etc. – Perform Rez. Belgrade ongoing task controls Branch President K. M.
- Regularly follow the Yugoslav press and television programs to find out what is being said about them, whether they can give television interviews, the nature of the interview, their stay in Yugoslavia, and their departure to other countries. Other West etc. – Perform Rez. Belgrade’s ongoing task controls Branch President K.M.
- The Rome Residence should be instructed to take the necessary precautions and in the future to pursue and control the hostile activity of Alexander Kondos, in case he stabilizes in Italy, or even temporarily. – Kryen P. op. F. H. until 30.06.1985, Controlled by Branch President K. M.
- Rome Residence to activate B.p. “5202”, “5209”, “5220”, “5247” and anyone else who may come in contact with Alexander Kondo, in order to gather information about his figure, the movements he can make through Italy, the countries that can attend, especially the camps in Latina and Kapua, the contacts he can make with other Albanian fugitives and especially the contacts with the leaders of the Albanian reactionary emigration that ……………………………… with a cadre or agent of the organs of the country as well as of the Vatican, etc. – Perform Rez. Rome task in progress, Controls Branch President K.M.
- The New York resident will be instructed on the work to be done to pursue and control A. Kondon, in case he comes to the US. For this to be addressed B.p. “6120”, “6167”, “6103”, “6404”, “6412”, “6119”, “6131”, “6431” and “6440” to collect data on A. Kondon, places he attends, movements that he made, his contacts with other fugitives and leaders of Albanian emigration ………………………. –Kryen Rez. New York Ongoing Assignment, Controls Branch President K.M.
- Efforts will be made to identify his family, friends and social ties with operational interest, so that in the future, we can use any of them to put pressure on A. Kondos, to give up hostile activity, and to return to Albania. – Perform P.O. F.H until 30.12.1985, controls Branch President K.M.
- He will be taken into postal control in order to see and learn the new connections with his operational interest, the character of the correspondence and that he does not carry out hostile activities through this channel. – Perform P.O. F.H until 30.6.1985, controls Branch President K.M.
OPERATIONAL WORKSHOP CHAIRMAN OF THE BRANCH
Information of the III Directorate of State Security, regarding the analysis made of the reasons for the escape of two Albanian athletes in Yugoslavia
Tirana on 20.6.1985
I N F O R M A T I O N
From the analysis we made of the event that took place on the disappearance of our two athletes in Titograd, we think the following:
- The circumstances of the case explained by the team members and mainly those relating to the short time as well as the sudden disappearance from the group, without creating any circumstances to attract attention, lead to the conclusion that they must have escaped. Ideas that they may have had before and judged to realize it the way they did. This is reinforced by their weak personality, without entering into explanations for the motives that prompted them to commit this act.
- The possibility of being in front of a studied combination with certain political goals of UDB is not excluded. The Yugoslavs in order to oppose the sound situation that our people manifested, about the Party after the death of Comrade Enver Hoxha, the principled positions of our government on relations with this neighboring country, resolving obstacles to expanding the agreement in various fields, such as and to refute our attitudes towards the hostile and provocative statements of the Yugoslav Prime Minister, having previously studied and exploited the weak vices of our athletes, may have organized their abduction, which constitutes a premeditated act to cause certain consequences in bilateral relations.
The Yugoslavs are looking for a cause and with this plan, they may have carried out this action. The fact that they are silent can be explained by the fact that they hope that they can be broken and processed in order to expose them to the means of propaganda, in order to discredit our country. And if they do not achieve such a thing, to cover the traces of this ugly act, they can also carry out their physical liquidation, giving different explanations to our grade with justification formulas. We are pursuing the issue.
DIRECTOR OF THE DIRECTORATE OF III
State Security Instructions sent to the resident “Blerimi” in Belgrade, with the respective tasks for the pursuit, control and surveillance of Aleksandër Kondo and Xhelal Sukniqi
Tirana on 20.6.1985
Belgrade by phone no. 131 dated 17.6.1985 notifies Comrade ………………….
The two athletes were taken to the Padinska Skela camp.
For the knowledge of V.
The wire was seen by Comrade Minister and Comrade ……………………… and there are no notes. The wire was extracted in two copies to be placed in the form 2 / a file of each.
Operational letter No. 166/1
Position on 22.6.1985
SUBJECT: ON THE Fugitives ALEXANDER KONDO AND XHELAL SUKNIQI
The fugitives Aleksandër Kondo and Xhelal Sukniqi, were processed 2 / A. Their stay in “Ferrë” and their refusal to return to their homeland, as well as their hostile attitude towards our country, which they also expressed by saying that “we could not wait for this day to come here” and “we will we are opponents until the end of Albania “,” we will return one day but when the regime is overthrown “,” because one day it will be overthrown “, etc.
These make it necessary to pursue dynamically and with priority their hostile activity. Therefore, for this purpose, on your part, to draft a separate action plan for each, where, among other things, emphasis is placed on the good use of illegal and legal resources, to learn about the current attitude they hold, their social circle. , the place where they are, the places they frequent, the associations with other fugitives, UDB cadres and agents, or even other revelations against our country.
There is information that Kondo and Sukniqi, at the end of June or the beginning of July 1985, will emigrate to “Peshkaqen”, therefore to work systematically to find out in time their departure from “Ferra”, to “Peshkaqen”, or elsewhere. Also in the use of legal and illegal resources, pay attention to and clarify the circumstances of their disappearance on 28.5.1985, in Titograd.
Their actions after leaving the group of athletes and the attitude they held before the bodies of “Ferra”. For this you can also use the cases when Albanians flee to the headquarters for various problems. Among other things, learn about the attitudes of A. Kondos and Xh. Sukniqi, what is said and spoken in the ranks of the fugitives about them, the contacts they can make with other fugitives who come to “Ferrë”, etc.
Also, during their elaboration, to learn the interest they show for them, the bodies of “Ferra”, the reactionary emigration of Albanians and Kosovars in the West, as well as other foreign discoveries. Regularly watch the press and other TV shows to find out what is being said about them, if they can give a television interview, in case what they gave in the interview, their stay in “Ferra” as well as leaving “Ferra” for “, “The shark.”
Their processing is of interest, so work systematically to collect periodic data on them. In their direction, use “1740”.
Digital telegram of the residence of the Albanian Intelligence in Belgrade, addressed to the Minister of Internal Affairs in Tirana, regarding the state of mind and the attitude of Aleksandër Kondo and Xhelal Sukniqi
Tirana, July 29, 1985
Rez. Belgrade by tel. No. 172 dated 27.7.1985 notifies Comrade ……………… ..
The fugitive, Aleksandër Kondo, has a vile attitude, while Xhelal Sukniqi has signs of remorse.
The wire is seen from sh. Minister and sh ………………………… and there are no records. The wire was extracted in two copies to be placed in file 2 / A of Aleksandër Kondos ……………………… ..
Tirana on 20.7.1985
REPORT ON THE CAUSES OF ALEXANDER KONDOS ‘ESCAPE
Aleksandër Kondo has been out with the weightlifting team several times. Prior to the escape he was in Spain, and did not maintain a good attitude. This also comes from the report he has made about this p.op. D.L. who has accompanied the team to Spain. On our part, recognizing not only the moral-political attitude of his family, but also his attitude as a person, a negative opinion was given about his participation in the Weightlifting Championship that took place in May 1985. This opinion is based on several materials and data we had in his charge. Because he used various stimulants during competitions, when he was in Spain, he brought with him a pornographic magazine, he was associated with elements that were not well formed, he was a messy and unprincipled man. After the championship in Poland, our team arrived in Titograd where the bus would wait to pick them up. At this time all the friends are dispersed. Likewise, Aleksandar leaves together with his friend Xhelal Sukniqi, and never returned to his friends. How they left, nothing is known but only known that they sought political asylum. Both Alexander and Jalal are currently in Yugoslavia. /Memorie.al
CHIEF OF THE FIRST SECTION OPERATIVE WORKSHOP