Memorie.al publishes some documents issued by the Central State Archive (fund of the former Central Committee of the ALP), where there is a voluminous file with archival materials which bear the logo ‘Top secret’, which belong to the period of years 1981-1982, with reports, reports, evidence, information, minutes of the meetings of the Politburo and the secretariat of the Central Committee of the ALP, etc., starting from what was held to review and analyze the self-criticism of the former Prime Minister Mehmet Shehu in December 1981, because he had allowed the engagement of his son, Skënder, “with a girl who had some political fugitives in her family circle”, the marathon meeting of the Politburo on the afternoon of December 17 his year that continued until the late hours of that night, where that problem was discussed with the debates and discussions of all members who “crucified” former Prime Minister Shehu, the meeting of the morning of December 18, after the news that Prime Minister Mehme t Shehu had killed himself, the marathon meeting of the Secretariat of the Central Committee of the ALP on September 20, 1982, with the topic: “Analysis of serious mistakes of Kadri Hazbiu, committed during the period when he was deputy minister and minister of Internal Affairs ”, where Enver Hoxha initially started accusing Kadri Hazbiu, luring him as a“ loyalist of the Party ”, (in order for him to“ open his heart to the Party ”, speaking against former Prime Minister Mehmet Shehu) , where at the beginning of his speech, Enver said: “After the coup in the army, we discovered the traitorous group in economics of Abdyl Këllez, Koço Theodhos and Kiço Ngjela with friends. We also discovered this group here; it was not discovered by the State Security. The same can be said about the discovery of the group of Fadil Paçrami, Todi Lubonja and a number of other people connected with them, such as Ismail Kadareja with friends, the Security did not reveal, but that hostile work was discovered by the Committee Central ”, etc.! All these and other documents with the logo ‘Top secret’, will be published in several issues in a row, exclusively by Memorie.al
Continued from the previous issue
The ‘Top Secret’ document with the correspondence between Enver Hoxha and Mehmet Shehu on October 19 and 28, 1981, after the self-criticism of former Prime Minister Mehmet Shehu, sent to Enver Hoxha and the Politburo of the Central Committee of the ALP, regarding the engagement of to his son, Skënder, with “a girl with a very bad political make-up”!
“Draft-self-criticism” (“First self-criticism”) that Mehmet Shehu sent to comrade Enver Hoxha and “Autocriticism” (second variant) to comrade Enver Hoxha and comrades of the Politburo of the Central Committee as well as the minutes of the meeting Politburo of the Central Committee of the ALP, dated 17 – 18 December 1981: For the analysis of the serious mistake made by the former member of the Politburo, Mehmet Shehu, regarding the engagement of a boy with a girl with a very bad political composition . (Dt. 17-18. XII. 1981)
My conscience is deeply saddened by the guilt I committed. But this will not cause me to stumble at work, to reduce work stress. On the contrary, it makes me feel more deeply the obligation I have to the Party and to the people, to wage the class struggle consistently, in every direction and in every case, as Comrade Enver teaches us, in full line of the Party and until the end, to merge all energies and life, if necessary, for the protection of the Party line in every affair of activity.
From this grave mistake I have tried to draw the right lessons, so as not to fall into such mistakes again:
- I have to be more vigilant against the enemy of the class, to always keep in mind the teaching of Stalin, the experience of our Party and my own personal experience that comes from my mistake in this case, that the danger always comes from where you slept, from you have reduced vigilance.
- My vigilance, in this case, was weakened towards the danger of opportunism. So I made that mistake. But I will never again make mistakes of this nature, I will try to be vigilant, both from the danger of the left and from the danger of the right, as the Party and Comrade Enver teach us.
And not only in the general framework of the implementation of the Party line in the class struggle, but also at the family level.
– I will fight never to fall on one side, but to look at issues always in complex, to look at all sides and aspects of the issue, of each issue, related to each other, according to the materialist dialectic.
– I will try to be more careful in the education of children, to develop the class struggle consistently in the family, and to be more prudent in making decisions in family matters. I will fight to be more communicative with friends even on such issues of a family nature.
– I will be careful to beware of the thought of immunization from such mistakes, to always be consistent in the class struggle, both outside, in society, and inside, in the family, as well as from the manifestations of arrogance.
– I will try to be more restrained, more balanced, in my temperament that is sometimes explosive. I will always keep “ear to ear” the message of comrade Enver that “the first mind is the mind of the horse”, that is, not to hurry, when one has to walk carefully, to measure the thought well, before a decision is reached, in any case.
I promise the comrades of the Politburo and I swear to Comrade Enver’s Party that in my life such mistakes of a political, ideological, principled nature will not be made by me. I can accidentally make mistakes at work, but no longer make mistakes of this nature.
Our party, with its great Marxist-Leninist ideological maturity that it has achieved, does not allow anyone to make concessions (or exaggerations), to make principled mistakes; just as it did not allow me in this case either.
Correcting this mistake that I made also shows the strength of the Party, because even when a friend makes a mistake, he is helped by other friends to correct the mistake, and this is a great lesson.
Herein lays the strength of the norm of collegiality in the internal life of our Party. Therefore our Party is invincible.
The imperialist and revisionist enemy attacks the Party and our state on the ideological front and this attack is comprehensive and complex. The enemy attacks us on the economic front, to suffocate us. The enemy attacks us on the economic front, to suffocate us.
The enemy is preparing to attack us militarily as well. I, too, like all comrades, have fought and am fighting on all three of these main fronts against the enemy.
But, before the ideological attack of the enemy, in the case for which I am doing self-criticism, my leg slipped, “my right leg slipped”, but I did not fall to the ground that my friends, personally Comrade Enver, signaled me, shook my hand and rose. It is known that it is best not to slip your foot at all.
That would be the best thing, but as experience itself proves even in the case of my mistake, people also make mistakes. But it is crucial that when you walk, you do not fall, but hold on, stand up and move forward only.
This is done either by the person who made a mistake, when he sees that he “slipped his foot”, or with the help of friends. I did this with the help of friends, with the immediate social, revolutionary, effective help that Comrade Enver and I had.
But I assure the Politburo and Comrade Enver, that even if I felt myself that my leg had “slipped” (I believe I would feel it, even belatedly), – as soon as I felt it myself, even without signaling my friends (although comrades I am convinced that they would not stay without signaling me), I would gather myself and in that case, I am fully convinced that I would correct the mistake made and move forward, only in the way of the Party.
I assure you once again, comrades that I will work and fight for the Party and for the people with infinite loyalty and to the death, as I have tried to do throughout my life in the Party.
Tirana, October 1981 Mehmet Shehu
Archival document with the note of Enver Hoxha, after receiving from him, the self-criticism of Mehmet Shehu
I returned the copy of the original to Mehmet
This self-critical project, Mehmeti gave me according to his insistence to read and help. When I criticized him for the mistake he made, I openly told him my thoughts. He himself had to reflect and again deeply reflect on the causes of his mistake, that after reading this self-critical project, I find shallowness and many excuses.
October 19, 1981 Enver
Archival document with the note of Enver Hoxha’s chief of staff, Haxhi Kroi, regarding the order received to send to Mehmet Shehu, Enver’s letter
Note: The original of this note was withdrawn by Comrade Enver.
By order of Comrade Enver, today, October 28, I handed over to Comrade Mehmet in his house locked in an envelope, the project-self-criticism he had made for the great mistake he had made by softening the class struggle with the boy’s engagement to a girl with bad political composition.
October 28, 1981 Haxhi Kroi
Archival document with the letter of Enver Hoxha sent to Mehmet Shehu, regarding his first self-criticism, written on October 28, 1981
I carefully read your draft self-criticism.
I have talked at length and several times with you, about the mistake you made in the Party line and I do not see a more complete opportunity to help you.
However, if you allow me to help in a direction that does not form anything new from those open and social thoughts I have told you, I think:
- In the project self-criticism, you attach great importance to the history of how the mistake was made; putting, even twice and in the first place, the “positive sides” of Professor Turdi, the positive sides do not exist, except that he is a professor.
The event as it was possible, to be put only in five rows, so it is not the way to be considered as “positive sides, those that made you wrong, until the boy himself, as you say in self-criticism, put in be aware of the hostile sides of the Turdinj and Pipaja.
- As a second main reason, you emphasize, “sentimentality”, for your son in particular. This is a real feeling, not only for children, but a humane feeling towards others as well.
Only that, sentimentality for us, Marxists, has a limit, which should not be crossed, when it undermines the interest of the Party and the general. For us, “sentimentality” means both feelings (heart) and logic (brain).
Therefore, evaluate this problem properly and adequately.
- Of course, with your self-criticism, you have pointed out, over time, some negative elements in your character that often appear in the very fruitful work you do for the interest of the Party, that you love and give your life for.
I think in the deeper analysis of these negative elements, you will find the real reason for the mistakes.
These, as they say in French, “te jouent de mauvais tours”, i.e., make you fall into mistakes.
Therefore, I think that here lies the source of guilt and mistakes and these mistakes, to look them in the eye, to understand their dangerousness and to correct them seriously and in this regard, to be sure that you will have the help of all of us, your comrades and the whole Party. Memorie.al
The next issue follows